Monday, January 19, 2009

The Abyss and Dark Lord...Alpha Klaus too


Two of the biggest names in imperial stouts out there and then some other good treats. Been enjoying a lot of great beer recently, and it looks like we can put the Internet behind us...for now.
I was so excited when I received these beers in the package, i had never had any of them and with all the hype surrounding them, well you can imagine. They were enjoyed at their respective indulgent times and left me thirsting for my next trade.
I really enjoyed the Three Floyds Alpha Klaus, such a great beer and just so unique. from its beautiful combination of cocoa and fruit hop flavor,s to its incredible smoothness and drinkability, it is such a quality beer. I wish i could try it on tap, Three Floyds just continually impresses me, and with their limited distribution, it becomes all the more a rare treat.
Speaking of rare treats, the rarest of treats might be the Three Floyds Dark Lord. Until now, this beer was just a legend, a ratings monster, topping every single chart of the best beers you could ever find. It's known because of its rare availability and of course because of its monstrous taste. This beer is a monster, and let me tell you this is the best tasting beer I might ever have had. So thick and rich, such beautifully scented dark harmony. If I didn't live so far I could see myself going every year to Dark Lord Day, wait how far? This beer is just absolutely incredible, it's like chocolate fudge oatmeal. Indescribable chocolate flavors, with that signature Three Floyds fruity end. Darkness just ensues on the palette and this beer never lets up. I would seek this beer out again for sure, and yes it is worth the hype.
Deschute's the Abyss on the other hand might not be. I've had Deschutes before when I went to visit my brother in San Francisco. The Black Butte Porter and the Obsidian Stout were both excellent, I expected big things from The Abyss. It tastes like what it says it tastes like was the general reaction. Maybe it was the Dark Lord which was tasted the day before, maybe it was the massive hype, but it was kind of a let down. Lacked body and initial depth. It was good, it wasn't bad just not worth all the hype I thought. Definitely worth a try and still happy for having traded for it, but I wouldn't trade for it again.
Looks like Bell's Hopslam is now available, might have to get some...

No comments: