Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving/Port Brewing Shark Attack


Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving! We are ready for the holiday season and I just wanted to post a quick review from last night before today's festivities begin.
Aside from last nights growler of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout which was still on tap at New Beer yesterday, there was a beer I had not had before from a brewery that's earned quite a reputation. That brewery is Port Brewing/Lost Abbey. I've had a few of their beers whenever I've been out of NY. The seem to be distributed everywhere and around NYC, but this is the first time I've seen them here.
I was hoping this beer was going to have some good hop flavors in it having finished off the last of my BCS, and I was not disappointed. Needing a good "palette cleanser," Port Brewing Shark Attack is a Double Red Ale clocking in at 9% ABV and displays all of the right characteristics of an American Strong Ale. It pours out almost no carbonation with strong hop aromas from the start -- good resinous citrus infused malt notes. Lots of honey malt scent and the citrus earthiness of the hops. I'm actually kinda surprised with this one. I've tried a few Port/Lost Abbey beers before and this one is probably the best I've had. No, unfortunately I have never had Angel's Share -- their most highly acclaimed and one of the rarest in their Lost Abbey line. But I have had Santa's Little Helper, I have had Old Viscosity and Wipeout IPA, but always felt unimpressed and slightly less wealthy. This one on the other hand is a completely different story. Beautiful very soft carbonation, with good crispy hop bite developing into a resinous citrusy flavor at one lock of the lips. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden by a toasty malt flavor developing three quarters of the way through the flavor. Big presiding honey-dipped fruit flavor and it's just so soft. The more I drink it, the more I enjoy the carbonation: rich, full and satisfying. Instead of the hops bittering up from the carbonation your tongue just gets matted with a good pineapple flavor. This beer was quite good, but still up in the air about its almost $10 price tag. I would have to grab it if I saw it again, but not so sure that would happen.
So today we will be having some nice beers with the meal and after. I grabbed a bottle of Great Divide Fresh Hop, which is just so good if you've never had it. We will then likely move onto Brooklyn Local 1 to balance the more heavy mid-meal offerings. Followed by Southern Tier Krampus to strengthen up for dessert. Whatever happens after that is any one's guess. Happy Thanksgiving -- drink some absurd beers with the meal please.

No comments: