Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ithaca Night @ Barcade

Just came back from my tasting at Barcade. Ordered a flight of: Eleven, Ten, Alphalpha, Flower Power (cask), and Brute. The Eleven is a coffee bomb if there ever was one. This imperial milk stout aged over whole coffee beans is quite good, but if you don't like coffee then shy away. Ten is like a barleywine now it seems, I remember being almost like hop juice last time I tried it, a lot like an American barleywine now. Alphalpha was odd, I actually expected more from this brew having read about and not tried it before. Flower Power on cask was so good, really exemplifies what a cask does to an IPA if you've ever had this beer on tap. And then there was the Brute. Now you all probably know that I'm not a huge sour fan, can't handle overpowering Brettamyoces flavor. But this beer had a good balance, and much like the Russian River Consecration I actually might have enjoyed it. The funk is not too powerful, the beer is sour, but in a fruity sort of vinous like way. The funk is there, but it adds to the flavor and sort of spices up the whole thing. The Victory Wild Devil on tap as well really does not do that.

No comments: