Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sixpoint, and the NYC standard (not Brooklyn)

I just washed my mouth out with a Troegs Nugget Nectar. It's official. I've given Sixpoints all their opportunities to prove themselves. I've bought the made in Brooklyn long enough. And don't get me started about Chelsea. Beer is about being unique and offering bold flavors that are very much in line with the brand essence of that particular brew. It's about standing out, and doing it in the right way. The NYC standard just does not deliver when it comes to local brews, and that is except for one particular brewery: the original, The Brooklyn Brewery. Aside from this great institution, Sixpoints and Chelsea just do not deliver, their beers are bland and boring. I tried the Sixpoints Gemini and well, it's not the Southern Tier Gemini I'll tell you that much. Just generic for a style that gives particular output to the brewer to choose the hops to establish that unique flavor. I had to ale bust this one, it's just been too long coming on these brews. The Brooklyn Blunderbuss that I had after the Sixpoints was an overflowing amount of flavor, much more enjoyable and what I expect from craft beer. It's a good thing we have the Brooklyn Brewery which without we might not have Black Ops or Blast! And the great selection of bottled beer. NYC has an incredible amount of great bars and even better beer on tap, but it usually doesn't come from NYC and maybe there is good reason for that. Someone might have to do something...

No comments: