Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Session Ales and Big Boys

So I thought I'd take a moment to talk about the craft beer spectrum and I'd like some feedback on the topic if possible. In preparation of the forthcoming WLV package filled to the brim with big bold brews, I bought a Brooklyn variety pack to have on the side. I like doing this, it helps save some cash and it also extends the life of your rare brews. To those who have trouble cellaring, this might help. I'll usually start off with something big and dark, whatever that selection may be, and I follow that up with either a session ale or in some cases a big hop bomb, like say a Bell's Hopslam or something like that. But it's the session ales that will begin to shine later in the night. When my palette is a wreck and I still want something quality, I can have it, and I may even enjoy it more than if i started with it. I think this is one of the greatest aspects of the craft brew culture. Forget the guy at the bar who asks "what's the lightest thing you have?" or even better the infamous "what's like Stella?" and I know you know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about real craft beer session ales...all of them, and balancing them with their bigger, badder brothers. It's always great to have an order to the evening, especially when new brews are being had. I generally like to drink my ales dark to light, against common etiquette, but I love the refreshment of a nice hoppy beer after a dark ale to really showcase all of craft beer's great flavors. Of course sometimes you just want something and you gotta have it. What about you guys?

No comments: