Monday, January 17, 2011

Beer Collector Phobia

It's a serious problem affecting beer geeks throughout the continental US. Symptoms include prioritizing beer over everything else in life, but not the drinking of it. Other symptoms include the particular hoarding of rarer or whale beers because of their perceived value. I would like to say that as a hoarder, I have a serious problem. At what point have I gone too far -- stored up too much beer to drink, spent too much money? When have I reached the point that i'm not enjoying what I paid for? Well that's all perception. I do admit that I have a problem drinking my beers, I often ask my friends to pick something out because I am incapable of doing it. I know that's what the beers are for, but I understand why I do it; It's like being a kid again. I've always enjoyed collecting things -- baseball cards, comics and now beer. The difference among those is that beer is gone when I drink it and it also has a lifespan. I know it sounds odd to compare my childhood to buying an alcoholic beverage, but this is a new level. The hunt is so enjoyable for me. From the spotting of the release on beernews, to the tracking of the beer's movement on beeradvocate, beermenus and the various online beer stores, to the final purchase in the store, is a very satisfying process for me. I've kind of become addicted to it, but once the beers are home, well that's a different story...

No comments: